Work can be stressful and it is easy to forget to look after our own well-being during the 9-5 routine. So what are some simple ways to help ourselves at work when we are strapped for time?
A set of evidence-based actions to increase well-being were developed by the New Economics Foundation and are called ‘The Five Ways to Well-being’. These are:
- Connect: Feeling valued and close to others is a basic human need.
- Be active: Exercise releases endorphins and gives us a positive feeling. Regular physical activity is also associated with lower rates of depression and anxiety.
- Take notice: Being mindful of your surroundings can enhance and broaden awareness.
- Learn: Learning enhances self-esteem and also encourages social interaction.
- Give: Individuals who report a greater interest in helping others are more likely to rate themselves as happy.
So how do we adapt these to the workplace? Here are 10 simple ways to help you improve your well-being whilst at work.
1) Talk to someone instead of sending an email
2) Go out for lunch with someone new
3) Take the stairs instead of the lift
4) Go for a walk on your break and maybe even do some light stretching
5) Take a different route to work
6) Clear the clutter from your desk and move things around
7) Read an article
8) Learn a new word
9) Perform a random act of kindness
10) Give money to charity