To find out more and book this training, please contact us here, call 0121 271 0550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an online mental health awareness course, approved by the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH). On completion of this training, candidates are certified as ‘Mental Health First Aiders'.
What is a Mental Health First Aider?
Similar to a First Aider who is the go-to-person for immediate assistance with physical health or illness, a Mental Health First Aider is the first port of call for anyone experiencing a mental health issue.
It is important to remember that the Mental Health First Aider course does not teach people to be therapists or counsellors and does not teach people how to diagnose mental health conditions or provide ongoing support.
The Mental Health First Aider role is to act as a point of contact and reassurance for a person who may be experiencing a mental health issue or emotional distress. Maintaining appropriate boundaries is a key part of successfully providing Mental Health First Aid and keeping yourself well.
Become a Mental Health First Aider and Support Your Colleagues
This in-depth MHFA online course provides:
- An understanding of mental health and the factors that can influence wellbeing
- Practical skills to identify the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal and listening skills
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support e.g. Employee Assistance Programme, self-help resources or the NHS
The Mental Health First Aid online course is completed over 4 manageable sessions, spread over one month and delivered via the MHFA England Online Learning Hub (similar to Zoom and Microsoft Teams), as follows:
- Pre-1 - Self-guided learning to be completed before webinar 1 (1 hour)
- Instructor-led live interactive webinar 1 - (2 hours)
- Pre-2 - Self-guided learning to be completed before webinar 2 (2 hours)
- Instructor-led live interactive webinar 2 - (2 hours 20 minutes)
- Pre-3 - Self-guided learning to be completed before webinar 3 (2 hours)
- Instructor-led live interactive webinar 3 - (2 hours)
- Pre-4 - Self-guided learning to be completed before webinar 4 (2 hours)
- Instructor-led live interactive webinar 4 - (2 hours)
Self-guided individual learning will be based on a combination of videos, workbook activities, and reading, which can be done at delegates own pace in advance of each live webinar session.
Live interactive webinars are facilitated by an expert Altruist Enterprises trainer and involve group discussions, activities, break out rooms and Q & A sessions.
We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that our trainer can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Mental Health First Aider Course: Online Training Content:
Session 1 provides an introduction to mental health, the Mental Health First Aid concept and action plan. The following topics are covered:
Self-guided Learning 1
- Activity 1: Why Mental Health First Aid?
- Activity 2: The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- Activity 3: What is mental health?
- Activity 4: Quiz: Impact of mental health
- Activity 5: Stress Container (completed after live session)
- Activity 6: Frame of Reference (completed after live session)
Live Webinar 1
- Introduction to course functions
- Introduction to the course
- ALGEE and mental health introduction recap
- Risk and protective factors
- 10 minute break
- Frame of Reference
- The Mental Health Continuum
- Introduction to the Stress Container
Session 2 provides an understanding of depression, suicide awareness and non-judgemental listening. The following topics are covered:
Self-guided Learning 2
- Activity 7: What is depression?
- Activity 8: Risk factors for depression
- Activity 9: Mental Health First Aid for depression
- Activity 10: Introduction to suicide
Live Webinar 2
- Recap of individual learning on depression
- Prevalence of suicide
- Suicide, substance misuse and dual diagnosis
- Analyse the impact of suicidal feelings
- Recap of ALGEE and risk factors for suicide
- Explain Mental Health First Aid action plan 1 for suicide
- 10 minute break
- Explain non-judgemental listening, Empathy video
- Practice using ALGEE in case study scenarios
- Review of ALGEE for suicide and depression
Session 3 provides an introduction to other common mental health problems such as anxiety, eating disorders and self-harm. The following topics are covered:
Self-guided Learning 3
- Activity 11: What is anxiety?
- Activity 12: Mental Health First Aid for anxiety
- Activity 13: What are eating disorders?
- Activity 14: Mental Health First Aid for eating disorders
- Activity 15: What is self-harm?
- Activity 16: Mental Health First Aid for self-harm
- Activity 17: What are personality disorders?
Live Webinar 3
- Recap of individual learning of anxiety
- Recap of the five basic steps of ALGEE for anxiety
- Explain action 1 for anxiety
- How to support someone who is having a panic attack
- Explain crisis first aid
- Practice action 2: non-judgemental listening
- 10 minute break
- Practice applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan for anxiety
- Recap of ALGEE for anxiety
- Explain cognitive behavioural therapy
- Recap of eating disorders and self-harm
- Case study for eating disorders and self-harm
- Review ALGEE for eating disorders and self-harm
Session 4 covers less common mental health problems such as psychosis, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Delegates will also have the opportunity to explore building a mentally healthy workplace, using MHFA skills. The following topics are covered:
Self-guided Learning 4
- Activity 18: What are psychosis, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder?
- Activity 19: Risk factors for psychosis
- Activity 20: Mental Health First Aid for psychosis
- Activity 21: Helpful and unhelpful responses
- Workbook Activity 10: My action plan for using Mental Health First Aid (completed after live session)
Live Webinar 4
- Review of individual learning on psychosis
- Explain the development of symptoms of psychosis
- Review the five steps of ALGEE for psychosis
- Group discussion about MHFA Australia psychosis video
- Case study activity using Mental Health First Aid action plan for psychosis
- 10 minute break
- Explore how to build a mentally healthy workplace
- Start action plan to use Mental Health First Aid
Everyone who completes the Mental Health First Aid Online Course will receive:
- A certificate to say they are a Mental Health First Aider
- An MHFA manual to refer to whenever they need it
- An MHFA workbook
- An MHFA Action Plan ‘Z card’
- Mental Health First Aider Badge for your email signature
'The trainer was able to facilitate openness and shared their personal experiences of mental health. This significantly increased our knowledge and gave us a better, more in depth awareness of the topic. It’s rare that I go on a course and find it interesting, but this training was so excellent!' Ruth McMahon, HR Manager, Jestico + Whiles
Prices for the Mental Health First Aider Course: Online Training start from £2200 + VAT for group bookings (8 - 16 delegates).
Public online courses are priced at £275 + VAT per delegate.