To find out more and book this training, please contact us here, call 0121 271 0550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an online mental health awareness course, approved by the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH). On completion of this training, candidates are certified as ‘Mental Health First Aiders'.
What is a Mental Health First Aider?
Similar to a First Aider who is the go-to-person for immediate assistance with physical health or illness, a Mental Health First Aider is the first port of call for anyone experiencing a mental health issue.
It is important to remember that the Mental Health First Aider course does not teach people to be therapists or counsellors and does not teach people how to diagnose mental health conditions or provide ongoing support.
The Mental Health First Aider role is to act as a point of contact and reassurance for a person who may be experiencing a mental health issue or emotional distress. Maintaining appropriate boundaries is a key part of successfully providing Mental Health First Aid and keeping yourself well.
Become a Mental Health First Aider and Support Your Colleagues
This in-depth MHFA online course provides:
- An understanding of mental health and the factors that can influence wellbeing
- Practical skills to identify the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal and listening skills
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support e.g. Employee Assistance Programme, self-help resources or the NHS
The Mental Health First Aider Course: Online Training is completed over 5 manageable sessions, delivered via the MHFA England Online Learning Hub, as follows:
- Session 1 - Self-guided learning utilising online content and worksheets (2 hours)
- Sessions 2 - 5 - Live interactive webinars facilitated by an expert Altruist Enterprises trainer (3 hours per session)
Mental Health First Aider Course: Online Training Content:
Session 1 provides an introduction to the Mental Health First Aid concept and action plan. Learning is self-guided and takes place through a mixture of online content and worksheets. We anticipate that session 1 will take approximately 2 hours to complete. The following topics are covered:
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- The Mental Health First Aid Action Plan
- Mental Health Definition
- Impact of Mental Health Issues
- Stigma and Discrimination
Delegates continue their learning by participating in four live webinars, spread over one month, to increase their understanding of mental health and practice MHFA skills. We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that our trainer can keep people safe and supported while they learn. Sessions 2 - 5 are each three hours long and cover the following topics:
- What is Mental Health? Group Discussion
- The Mental Health First Aid Action Plan
- What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression
- Risk factors for depression
- Depression in the workplace
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Cognitive distortions and CBT
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA
Everyone who completes the Mental Health First Aider Course: Online Training will receive:
- A certificate to say they are a Mental Health First Aider
- An MHFA manual to refer to whenever they need it
- An MHFA workbook
- An MHFA Action Plan ‘Z card’
'The trainer was able to facilitate openness and shared their personal experiences of mental health. This significantly increased our knowledge and gave us a better, more in depth awareness of the topic. It’s rare that I go on a course and find it interesting, but this training was so excellent!' Ruth McMahon, HR Manager, Jestico + Whiles
Prices for the Mental Health First Aider Course: Online Training start from £2000 + VAT for group bookings (8 - 16 delegates).
Public online courses are priced at £250 + VAT per delegate.