Our Youth Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Training Course offers ideal mental health training for schools or other environments with children and young people.
There is a growing number of children and teenagers developing serious mental health illnesses. Early intervention can play a crucial role in protecting the mental wellbeing of young people. Those who work around children are ideally placed to spot the signs and symptoms of poor mental wellbeing. This Youth Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Training Course builds awareness of mental health issues facing children and teenagers, equipping participants with the knowledge and skills needed to offer support and guidance.
The 2 day Youth Mental Health First Aid course is an internationally recognised course designed specifically for teachers or those that work, live with or care for young people aged 8 to 18 years. This programme is suitable for Primary schools, Secondary Schools and other key educational settings. On completion of this training, candidates are certified as ‘Youth Mental Health First Aiders'.
The course can play an important part in a teacher’s professional development, building confidence and helping them to better understand, connect with, and support children and young people.
Why should I take the 2 day Youth Mental Health First Aid course?
- 1 in 6 children aged 5 to 16 were identified as having a probable mental health disorder, that’s around 5 children in every class. (Office of National Statistics)
- Half of all lifetime cases of mental illness begin by age 14, 75% by age 18. (National Institute for Mental Health)
- In the last three years, the likelihood of young people having a mental health problem has increased by 50% (The Children’s Society)
- Suicide was the leading cause of death for males and females aged between five to 34 in 2019 (Young Minds)
What are the benefits of Youth MHFA Training?
The course will teach you to:
- Spot the early signs of a mental health issue in young people
- Feel confident helping a young person experiencing mental ill health
- Provide help on a first aid basis
- Help protect a young person who might be at risk of harm
- Help prevent a mental health issue from getting worse
- Help a young person recover faster
- Guide a young person towards the right support
- Reduce the stigma of mental health issues.
What will I learn from the Youth MHFA course?
Our Youth MHFA course is split into four manageable chunks. These are:
- What is mental health?
- Depression and anxiety
- Suicide and psychosis
- Self-harm and eating disorders.
Within each section there is clear focus on the issues faced by young people, including bullying/cyber bullying and substance misuse. The course also teaches the importance of promoting well-being and protective factors.
Everyone who completes the Youth Mental Health First Aid Training Course will receive:
- A certificate to say they are a Youth Mental Health First Aider
- A Youth MHFA manual to refer to whenever they need it
- A Youth MHFA workbook
- A Youth MHFA Action Plan ‘Z card’
We are based in Birmingham but are experienced in providing face-to-face training throughout the UK, depending on your organisation’s requirements.
How much does Youth Mental Health First Aid Training cost?
Youth Mental Health First Aid prices start from £232.50+ VAT per person (8 - 16 delegates).