This course is available as either an online or face to face training session.
Mental Health First Aid Champions is a 1 day mental health awareness course, approved by the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH). On completion of this training, candidates are certified as ‘Mental Health Champions'.
Why should your organisation take the Mental Health First Aid Champions course?
- One in five employees take a day off work because of stress (Mind)
- One in three people have experienced mental health issues at work (CIPD)
- Mental Ill-health is costing employers £1,500 per employee per year (all employees, not just those who are ill. Thriving at Work Review)
The course is designed to give:
- An understanding of what mental health is and how to challenge stigma
- An understanding of common mental health issues
- Knowledge and confidence in spotting the signs of mental ill health
- An introduction to looking after your own mental health and maintaining wellbeing
- Confidence to support someone in distress or who may be experiencing a mental health issue
One Day Mental Health First Aid Champions Course Content:
Session 1 covers the following topics:
- About Mental Health First Aid
- About mental health and stress in the workplace
- Stigma and discrimination
- Anxiety disorders
- Other mental health issues (eating disorders, self-harm, psychosis)
- Early warning signs of mental ill health
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
Session 2 covers the following topics:
- Applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan
- Action 1: Approach the person, assess and assist with any crisis Suicide
- Action 2: Listen and communicate non-judgementally
- Action 3: Give support and information
- Action 4: Encourage the person to get appropriate professional help
- Action 5: Encourage other supports
- Building a mentally healthy workplace
- Action planning for using MHFA
What to expect:
- Learning takes place through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities.
- Numbers are limited to 16 people per course.
Everyone who completes the course will receive:
- A Mental Health First Aid manual to refer to whenever they need it
- A workbook and related fact sheets
- A certificate of attendance to say they are a Mental Health Champion